JOB OPENING – PHILANTHROPY ASSOCIATE
Title: Philanthropy Associate
Location: Santa Monica, CA, San Mateo, CA, or New York, NY (in order of preference)
Align Impact, LLC
Launched in 2014, Align serves as an independent and specialized impact advisor to families, foundations, institutional investors and financial advisors. Align creates customized impact strategies, provides investment management services, and guides philanthropic & charitable giving so that its clients can increase the effectiveness and alignment of their grants and investments. Align’s customized impact portfolios aim to deliver the same risk and return as best-in-class globally diversified asset management strategies, all the while investing in companies and sectors that are aligned with a client’s values.
The Philanthropy Associate will work in close collaboration with a growing philanthropy and client service teams to support the philanthropic goals of Align Impact clients. We are looking for a nonprofit or foundation professional with a solid background in researching and evaluating philanthropic strategies and individual nonprofits, social enterprises and occasionally program-related or mission-related investments, as well as familiarity with how philanthropy operates in the United States and around the world.
As we grow, we are building a team of self-starters and independent specialists who will develop deep expertise in their domain areas and take responsibility for service delivery to a diverse range of impact-focused donors.
The Philanthropy Associate’s role will include:
Sourcing, due diligence, grants administration and reporting
- Source opportunities for clients and philanthropic mandates currently being served by the firm.
- Conduct primary and secondary research on nonprofits and issues.
- Prepare diligence reports and presentation materials to be presented to decision-makers.
- Prepare grant agreements and related administrative document for clients and their advisors.
- Summarize key findings from nonprofit reports and provide input on renewals.
- Assist with the development of our client-agnostic platform of vetted philanthropic opportunities.
- Critical Thinking skills – macro and micro
- Assist with knowledge development of effective philanthropy, social change and other innovations in giving – collaborating on white papers, blog articles, or articles in industry publications.
- Develop sector landscapes on different verticals, geographies and issue areas.
We believe the following skills, experience and attributes are necessary for a successful candidate:
- 3-5 years of experience working in the nonprofit or philanthropic sector.
- Knowledge of and familiarity with nonprofit management, impact measurement, financial analysis.
- Demonstrated interest in nonprofit and philanthropic sector, social change and social enterprise.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment independently.
- Ability to multi-task and take ownership of processes and service delivery.
- Strong writing, analytical and technical skills.
Finally, we believe that a successful candidate will embody and strongly believe our core values of:
- Equality: We work passionately to serve individuals of great wealth and those that live at the base of the pyramid. We strive for diversity, equity, and inclusion across our staff and for those that ultimately benefit from our services.
- Generosity and Humility: This spirit permits us to approach our work with genuine openness and allows us to be active listeners with our clients, colleagues and thought partners.
- Excellence: We work hard and smart, hold ourselves to a high professional standard, and pride ourselves on our responsive follow through. Going above-and-beyond is the norm.
- Teamwork: We know that we accomplish much more together than we could ever do alone. We trust our teammates, celebrate the wins together, and pick each other up when needed.
- Leadership: We each take the initiative and proactively engage in making this a world-class organization and catalyzing the impact investing ecosystem.
To apply, please send a cover letter, your CV and a writing sample to email@example.com with the Job Title as the subject of the e-mail. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Align is completely committed to attracting a talented and diverse workforce, and to fostering an open, collaborative culture of inclusivity because we believe multiple perspectives lead to more informed investment and business decisions. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we welcome people with diverse life experiences, fresh ideas, and specialized subject-matter expertise
Align will provide competitive compensation and a benefits package including base salary and annual incentive.